Tuesday, March 15, 2011

New Post, Japan and Baseball.

This is a new post.  It's almost baseball season!  I'm sitting writing a brief and watching spring training games (Rangers-Dodgers.  Rangers are up.  I may not care about these teams, but hey, it's baseball.)And for once we're actually getting a real opening day, not a "Yankees-Red Sox play overseas".  Because really, who wants to see that?  Now I love Japanese baseball, absolutely.  Those fans are NUTS.  The Hanshin Tigers?  It is a dream of mine to go to a Hanshin Tigers game.  Japan has played the game nearly as long as we have, since the late 1800s.  In fact, it was one of McArthur's first tasks after bombing the bejesus out of them:  get the baseball leagues running again.

I guess my point is this:  I'm thinking about Japan.  What else can one say?  I can't say, "I hope they're okay" - they're clearly NOT okay.  Sending money isn't going to do much - Japan is a reasonably well-off country.  All I think I can say is:  I hope those engineers who stayed behind at Fukushima Daiichi are well, and I know they're doing their very best to prevent an enormous disaster.  I have never seen such dedication.  They are amazing.  Good luck to them. 

No comments: